The Affordable Care Act or “ObamaCare”, which the Supreme Court upheld in June 2012, offers open enrollment for the health insurance Marketplace located on www.HealthCare.gov, until March 31, 2014. The health insurance Marketplace is a new way to find quality health coverage and will also tell you if you qualify for free or low-cost coverage available through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program (CHIP). There is also the Genesee Health Plan (GHP). For those who qualify, the Genesee Health Plan (a health benefit program supported by Genesee County residents) pays for doctor visits, prescriptions, lab tests, and x-rays2. For those interested in GHP, they can enroll at the Genesee County Health Department. With many health resources available in Genesee County, improving the quality of care you and your family receives can be easy.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Speak To Your Health! Community Survey is a resource that provides information about health care and health issues in Genesee County. The results of the 2011 survey found that:
- 51% of residents report being satisfied with the health care they receive.
- In the past 12 months, 89% of Genesee County residents have seen a doctor, nurse, or other health professional to get any kind of health care.
- 58% of residents do not receive health insurance through an employer.
- 12% of Genesee County receives health benefits through the Genesee Health Plan.
- During the last 12 months, 22% of Genesee County residents could not see a doctor, nurse, or other health professional because of the cost.
WHERE CAN YOU GET MORE INFORMATION?
- Genesee County Free Medical Clinic (810) 235-4211
- Genesee Health Plan (800)232-0503; go to: http://www.geneseehealthplan.org/
- The Disability Network (810) 742-1800
- Hamilton Community Health Network (810)789-9141
- Genesee County Health Department (810) 257-3612 Go to: HealthCare Coverage Programs
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Make an appointment with the Genesee County Free Medical Clinic to obtain prescription assistance and learn about outreach activities and classes
- Check to see if you are eligible for the Genesee Health Plan, MIChild, ObamaCare, and other health care options
- Be sure to visit a doctor at least once a year for a regular check-up
- HealthCare.gov, Health Insurance Marketplace https://www.healthcare.gov/what-is-the-health-insurance-marketplace/
- Genesee County Health Department: Health Care Outreach and Enrollment http://www.gchd.us/services/personalhealth/healthareoutreachandenrollment
DOWNLOAD THIS HEALTH BRIEF: