Did you know that more than one-third of U.S. adults are obese? An adult is considered obese if they have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or higher.1 An adult is considered overweight if they have a BMI between 25 and 30. Being overweight and/or obese increases the risk of many physical and mental conditions, including diabetes (mellitus type 2), heart disease, complications during pregnancy, osteoarthritis, obstructive sleep apnea, GERD, certain cancers, and others.2 Maintaining a healthy weight is important for staying healthy. Eating a healthy diet and being physically active are 2 important ways to maintain a healthy weight and reduce obesity.
DID YOU KNOW?
The Speak To Your Health! Community Survey is a resource that provides information about obesity and related health behaviors in Genesee County. The results of the 2011 survey found that:
- The average BMI of Genesee County residents is 29. The average BMI of Flint residents is 31.
- 23% of Genesee County residents eat at least 5 fruits and vegetables per day.
- 31% of Genesee County residents eat 2 or more fast food meals in a typical week.
- Genesee County adults engage in physical activity in their neighborhood park once every other week. Children in Genesee County engage in physical activity once every week.
- Genesee County residents engage in moderate physical activity (such as brisk walking, vacuuming, or gardening) for an average of 47 minutes 3.7 times per week.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
- Choose fresh fruits and vegetables when you can – but frozen, canned, or dried are also good
- Eat a variety of fruits and vegetables – choose different colors
- Reduce portion sizes
- Limit the amount of high-fat food you eat
- Drink enough water
- Find an exercise partner – it is easier to be active when you have a motivating friend
- Participate in a community garden, or park cleanup project
- Be active during the day – move around instead of sitting
- Genesee County Health Department www.gchd.us (810) 257-3612
- Crim Fitness Foundation www.crim.org/activeliving/Sage (810) 235-3396
- Commit to Fit www.commit2fit.com
- Friends of Flint River Trail www.flintriver.org (810) 767-6490
- Flint Farmers’ Market http://flintfarmersmarket.com (810) 232-1399
- Fruits & Veggies – More Matters http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org/
- SPROUT Coalition http://www.sproutgc.org/index.html
- Hurley Medical Center http://www.hurleymc.com/
- Project Healthy Schools http://www.projecthealthyschools.org/
1. WHO. (2013). “Obesity.” www.who.int
2. CDC. (2013). “Adult Obesity Facts.” www.cdc.gov